VCTM January 2014--Happy New Year!
Dear VCTM Member,
Please see below for several exciting opportunities for our members.
Registration is now open for our 2014 conference!
· Plan to join us at James Madison University on March 14 and 15 as we share ways to Unlock the Mathematical Mind.
· To register for the conference and find hotel information, go to www.vctm.org.
· Look for more information in our semi-annual newsletter arriving in your mailbox later this month.
VCTM Professional Development Grant
· Applications are now being accepted for the VCTM Professional Development Grant.
· The grant can be used to attend workshops, institutes, or other in-service opportunities.
· Two $500 awards are given.
· Applications are due by May 1, 2014.
· For information or to download an application, go to www.vctm.org.
2014 Math Beauty Contest is open for students!
· The contest gives students throughout Virginia a chance to show their problem solving ability in "beautiful ways."
· Entries must be postmarked by January 15th.
· Problems and full contest information are available on www.vctm.org.
Other Opportunities for Students
· BLAST (Building Leaders for Advancing Science and Technology) is a partnership between the Virginia Space Grant Consortium, Virginia Tech, the University of Virginia and the Commonwealth of Virginia. It is a three-day, on-campus, summer STEM experience for current 8th and 9th graders from Virginia middle and high school. It is a free program that will bring STEM alive to the participants through a series of innovative experiences. Applications are due February 1. For more information, go to http://blast.spacegrant.org.
· Einstein fellow Jim Town has created a project-based online class designed for high school students and teachers. The free eight week course opens on January 13. Go to mathtown - coursesites to enroll.
Become Involved with VCTM!
VCTM is an organization of and for math teachers in Virginia. We are always looking for new people to take leadership roles in our organization. There are several ways to become involved, including:
· Volunteering at our annual conference
· Serving on a committee
· Running for office
· Writing for our journal
· For more information or to volunteer for any of these opportunities, go to www.vctm.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please share these updates with your colleagues! If you learn of opportunities for teachers or students, please send them to Pat Gabriel (email@example.com) or Ian Shenk (firstname.lastname@example.org) to be included in our future updates.
Thank you for all that you do for the students in Virginia – have a fantastic 2014!